- We strive to provide complete care for our patients. Learn more about all the services we provide.
What is Sports Massage?
It is the term applied to the discipline of using massage for the specific benefit of all sports and exercise participants. It covers the management, manipulation and rehabilitation of the soft tissues of the body e.g. muscles, ligaments and tendons.
Sports massage should be tailored to each individual's needs to positively enhance their ability to perform. It is beneficial to everyone - irrespective of age, level of fitness or level of training.
Benefits of Sports Massage
· Improve circulation and lymphatic flow
· Relieves muscle tension
· Removes adhesions
· Sedate or stimulate nerve endings
· Increase or decrease muscle length
· Assist in the removal of metabolic waste
· Reduced discomfort from DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness)
· Increase or decrease muscle tone
· Remodel scar tissue when required
· Assist in mental preparation for sporting participation
· Improved posture and flexibility